ERA OF PACKAGING
Modern corporate world revolves round packaged personalities in this era of packaging. Even the quality products with bad packaging disappear from the market fast. Although too much emphasis is being given to packaging in modern world (many times you see that packaging seems costlier than the actual product) yet preference to better packaging is not a new phenomenon.
Packaging is important whatever it is: a product or a human being. It is human psychology to get under the influence of visual images. And we often see humans through the spectacles of images. When a person see two girls – one beautiful and other ugly, his mind wants to prefer the beautiful one and look out for more characteristic traits in her. At first our mind wants to ignore the ugly one even if she has better characteristic traits. That is the only reason that most of the people run for charming brides. It is also a fact that ultimately traits win over beauty. But first impression of a packaged personality have an impact that can’t be ignored. Food served by a good-looking girl always tastes better.
WHAT IS A PACKAGED PERSONALITY
A packaged personality contains charming appearance, good dress sense, attractive hair dressing, appealing gait, nice hand shake, confident look, fine style of speaking, informative conversation etc. A packaged personality is your strongest winning edge in career-building.
RESEARCH PROVES IT TOO
Many researches have been conducted on its influence on employers, interview boards or other people. And they all affirm the great value of a packaged personality. In a recent study conducted by International College of Business Solutions it was found that almost 85% recruitments are finalised under the influence of packaged personality of the candidates. It doesn’t mean that interview boards neglect skills. But a packaged personality is the first visual impact and skills are filtered through this impact. Only in 15% cases job skills are given more value than the personality; and that is mainly in high level jobs of management or administration.
WHAT TO DO
What can you do to improve your personality? An attractively packaged personality will increase your chances of success by almost 500%. Incredible. Then what are you thinking? Go for it.
1. Keep a large sized mirror at home to see your outlook now and then. See plus and minus points of your personality (everybody has minus points so don’t take them seriously or get any inferiority complex). First see if any change in your hairstyle can enhance your attraction. You can even support a moustache or beard if needed. A youngman Upendra, from a rural area, used to come to my institute to learn communication skills. He wanted to get job in the city. His improvement was slow. I advised him to stand at the gate of a big company for 15 minutes for three days at the time of office break-up, and study the hair-styles and wearing of young employees. After a few tries and instructions he got the look of a modern city youngman, to supplement whatever intellect he had. Every body in the institute was amazed to see a transformed Upendra. After a few months he got job in a good company.
2. Good dress sense has huge value for a person who wants to write a new success story. Success consultants have written large chapters to show it. A good dress not only improves your personality but it also boosts your confidence. Therefore give extra care to your wearing.
3. Bathe daily with a good quality soap so that your body smells nicely. Pare your nails regularly. Your clothes should be wrinkle-less, and shoes polished. Women should use matching footwear and other accessories they require according to the demand of the job.
4. See yourself in a big mirror: how you look while walking. Take the assistance of your friends too if required to improve your gait. Especially ladies do need to give attention to it. Their fine gait always leaves an impact.
5. Whenever you shake hand with someone show a friendly warmth. A handshake should never be too loose or too firm. A loose handshake means you are not interested. If it is too firm it is repelling. And do not try to shake hand with your employers or the members of interview boards. A handshake is friendly while employers and interview board members like to keep a healthy distance. In case they themselves extend the hand then it is OK. But go for only a soft and respectful handshake.
6. Confidence building is the most important aspect of personality development. It is like the spark-plug of a vehicle or the light in a well-furnished but dark room. Confidence enlightens your personality. It oozes out of your appearance and engulfs other people. To give it a strong boost improve your self-image, use affirmations and shine your skills.
7. Good speaking and writing ability plays a very important role in giving an impetus to your personality. Some people acquire it naturally from a supportive family atmosphere and academic education. Others have to join a good institute to learn the art of effective writing and fluent speaking.
8. Lack of general knowledge is also considered a serious handicap on your way to a successful career-building. While talking to others if you show a ‘know-nothing’ attitude you will ruin the initial good impression. So get a good basic general knowledge of the important things in life. Your good source can be newspapers and TV (if used in moderation).
Packaged to kill, a personality can do wonders – watch it happening. Good luck !!
“Personality is to a man what perfume is to a flower.”
- Charles M. Schwab